Are you building home? Are you considering a roof for your house?
Take a look at some of these options of roofing materials. These are some options that can be considered to choose the right roofing material and affect the cost, structural, appearance, and longevity of your house roof.
If you need to fix your roof, sure you will need to decide what type of roof material. Why is it essential to determine the right roof material? How your roof will last will be affected by these roof types. The weather or even the budget you have will also affect how to choose your roof. But before you decide which roof will suit your home best, let’s take a look at the options of roofing material.
Type of roofing material based on the weather-resistant conditions:
1. Asphalt shingles: this roofing material is easily found in the market. It is affordable and has many options for choices. The roofing quality is also good to protect from the daily weather. There are two types of asphalt shingles as known as fiberglass shingles and organic asphalt shingles.
Some reasons why asphalt shingles is chosen because it has excellent protection over the fire, and it looks good on any home roof style. Mostly it can stay up to 30 years. It is also easy to be repaired and cost-effective.
2. Metal Roofing: this roofing material is famous for its durability. Let’s say it is also eco-friendly roofing and reference to the new style of roofing. It is prepared in rolls manufactured. It has many options for metal roof style look like shingles, shakes, and tiles and has a lot of color options. The material mostly is aluminum, lightweight steel, and zinc. There is also a copper metal roof. It is as beautiful as an option, but it is costly. As it is a metal roof, it has a class A fire rating. It can insulate and prevent better, even in freezing weather. A metal roof can be found as metal shingles, standing seam, and stone-coated steel tiles. The ability to resists rain and snow is better than any other roofing material. It depends on the uplifting wind standard and building codes when you have to choose which metal roofing fits your home better.
Stone-coated steel: If the wet, windy, or areas prone to wildfires, the stone-coated steel roof is the best option for lasting house and economical. The composition of stone-coated steel with interlocking panels can protect from the rain up to 8.8 inches per hour, and wind with 120 miles per hour. This material also resistant to freeze-thaw cycles, uplisting, and hail.
The cost of metal roofing is somewhat higher than asphalt or wood roofing.
3. Rubber slate: this material is natural to be torn apart even with a knife or sharp tools. It can stay for 100 years but easily damaged by satellite dishes or walking, hail, or when something significant steps on it.
4. Slate tiles: this material is solid. It is fire-resistant, waterproof, and can resist mold and fungus. But this roofing material is expensive and also easily broken if there is a massive thing stepped on it.
5. Clay and concrete tiles (roof tiles): let’s say this roofing material is one of a strong one. It can withstand hurricanes, tornados, strong winds up to 125 miles per hour, and even can stand over the earthquake. In a wet climate, this material is not an option. This one is good only in dry and warm climates. And besides, it needs extra support to bear the weight when it is installed. It is also easily be broken when stepped on.
6. Green roof: this type of roof is green because of plants as a roofing material. It purposely to improve the air quality, insulate the home, reduce water runoff. Green roofing needs extra care and other installation, such as thermal installation, waterproofing, good drainage, water filtrations, structural support to keep the soil. Compost and plant intact on the roof. This roofing material can last until 40 years.
This type of roofing mainly for those who would like to keep the environment state. Maintenance regularly will improve and maintain the roof last for a long time. The cost of choosing this roof varies.
7. Built-up roofing (BUR) / flat roofing: This material is material for flat roofs or roofs with a very low pitch. This roofing is based on many layers of asphalt, tar, or adhesive topped with an aggregate. And the shape it flat roof type. Flat roof system such as PVC, TPO, EPDM rubber, and others have their pros and cons. you can consider it as less expensive and a lot easier than steep roof type. But for some reason, it needs more extra applications adhesive and some types of modified bitumen. In a flat roof life span, it depends on many factors of proper installation. The average length of time: PVC (polyvinyl chloride) is 15-30 years, EPDM (ethylene propylene diene monomer) is 10-15 years. TPO is 7-20 years, bitumen is 10-20 years, Build Up Roof is 15 – 20 years, and Spray on – up to 20 years.
8. Tesla solar tiles: This type of roofing material is consists of large PV (photovoltaic) panels. There are two types of solar tiles. The first is made from glass over a PV substrate. This solar tiles connect to Tesla Powerwall and integrate home roof with home’ electrical system. It needs to be installed about 35-70% of the whole home roof. Second is non-solar tiles, which are made of glass and without a PV substrate. These non-solar tiles are used on the remainder of the roof, which is not covered with solar tiles. It cost less and looks similar to the solar tiles. Solar tiles are quite expensive, and it takes a long time to be installed by a roofing expert. The advantage is that it can provide and produce 100% of the home’s electricity. It can survive until 30 years, and It takes a lifetime warranty against breakage and defect.
9. Wood shingles and shakes. This type of roofing material will give a wooden effect on any kind of roof. Some options are cedar, redwood, cypress, and pressure-treated pine shingles and shakes. Differ wooden shingles and shakes. Wood shingles are tiles with smooth surface and machine-cut and give cleaner feature edge. It provides a more uniform appearance. Wooden shakes rather hand-cut tiles from blocks of wood. It will provide a more real and rustic appearance of the roof. The tiles are thicker and more costly compare to wood shingles. If you consider Wood shingles and shakes, they can last until ten years longer than asphalt. It has Class A fire rating, but if it is non-treated material so this wood shingles and shakes are counted as Class C fire rating. It also has better insulation than asphalt shingles. Wood is durable, but it will be expensive to repair it.