A great way to make the backyard more attractive and add extra leisure space is by laying a stamped concrete patio. One of the stamped concrete purposes are the appearances more attractive like many other paver materials, such as natural stone, ashlar, granite, or brick and get the look with an affordable alternative, and looks very realistic at the same time. Stamped concrete enables to create a smooth, continuous surface, and at the same time more stable than pavers since it’s one solid mass rather than multiple bricks or stones. The Stamped concrete can easily add the recoupable value of the properties.
The price for stamped concrete patio project is dependent on factors like labor needs, concrete patterns, and detailing. One of the largest factors is the size of the area. The type of colors and patterns may also play a factor in the cost of the job. A stamped concrete patio with one base color will likely cost less than a stamped concrete surface with multiple accent colors.
Basic stamped concrete costs between $8 and $12 per square foot, but more involved projects can be as high as $18 per square foot. This cost guide will determine the average cost of laying a stamped concrete patio. In general, for 1000 square feet of stamped concrete can cost approximately $5000 US.
The detail of cost breakdown can be approached in 2 ways by an itemized bill, or one based on cost per square foot. The contractor chooses largely depends on their preference, but typically, you can expect that smaller projects will get itemization. Most contractors charge a set rate based on the overall square footage of the space.
Itemized bill calculation
- Materials: reinforced 3500 PSI concrete (at least 3.5 cubic yards of concrete), stamps and texturizing tools, waste overage, delivery fees, chemicals, and reinforcement and isolation materials. Cost: $900-$1,000
- Labor: Contractor usually charged for $35-$85 per hour. Labor work typically includes: soil grading and compacting; setting concrete forms; and pouring, finishing and patterning the concrete. The typical work time on this project would be 32-36 hours. Cost: $1,120-$3,060
- Excavation: If your land needs excavation or significant grading prior to building the patio, expect total costs to increase by 50%.
Cost per square feet calculation
- Basic: Stamped concrete installation with one simple pattern (ex: herringbone or ashlar) and one color. Cost: $8-$12 per sq.ft.
- Mid-range: Customize stamped concrete plus borders, or a second pattern or color. Cost: $12-$18 per sq.ft.
- High-end: Highly detailed stamped concrete including multiple patterns and colors. Can include specialty patterns and hand-coloring made to mimic natural stone color variations. Cost: $18+ per sq.ft.
In addition to that, there are an additional enhancement and improvement costs. This includes paint and hand-detailing. For painting and sealing stamped concrete can give it even more visual appeal. The typical cost of this is $0.70-$0.86 per sq. ft.. Whereas for hand-detailing, by using detailing tools in addition to the basic stamps can add richness to your patio’s appearance. Detailing is done while the concrete is still wet so that custom patterns and textures can be easily carved. This normally costs $225.
The cost of stamped concrete varies broadly, depending on the prices for materials and labor in your local market and the complexity of the job. The most inexpensive stamped concrete uses just one pattern and color, while the more expensive installations feature multi-pattern designs with special coloring effects, such as hand-applied stain accents.