A garage conversion can add value to the property as well as additional living space to your home. A well-thought-out garage conversion can add as much as 10% to the value of your home. An additional benefit is increased living space without incurring the costs and inconveniences of moving house. One thing that needs to keep in mind, once the use of the garage changes to a habitable space, it is considered as a new “conditioned space”, required to comply with specific technical and legal standards that were not previously required. Most building codes require permits to “construct, enlarge, alter, repair, change the occupancy,” and also to “install any electrical or plumbing system.” Preventive Maintenance Support Services has the expertise as well as the team needed to transform garage to comfortable and livable space.
One thing for sure and as the impact of the conversion, whenever taking the parking area to livable space as part of the house, it means that should be the replacement of the space with. In this case, it is advisable to check whether your garage satisfies zoning requirements for parking space.
Convert your Garage
Our company making sure together with our valued customers to deal with several aspects of the garage space conversion. The change of use from a garage to a habitable room will mean compliance with Building Regulations, including delivery of a building notice to your council. Building Regulations apply to moisture proofing, ventilation, insulation, fireproofing, escape routes and structural soundness.
Beyond the legalities, it is needed to do even more to make the garage conversion really, truly habitable. Herewith is the list to do in relation to that.
- Installing insulation. Most garages are not insulated, so in this case what needed to do is drywall, if already installed, must be removed and insulation installed.
- Raising floor height. In general, garages tend to be lower than the house. While not necessary, the benefits if you match flooring heights by adding sleepers to elevate the floor covering above the concrete garage floor.
- Adding floor covering. It is also called a finish floor, this is the visible floor that you walk on. Some garages do not have suitable floor covering or even minimal floor covering due to its limited function. Since it will be converted into habitable space, adding floor covering that is suitable for current space function will make the space enjoyable.
- Installing new Drywall or finish the job. Garage drywall is usually installed as a nonfinish-quality level one or two. In this situation, if you happen to have insulation behind there, you can leave the drywall in place but bring it up to level four.
- Garage Door: Leave the garage door in place or replace it with a wall? You need to consider few things, such as the functionality of the space.
- Box Out Unsightly Areas. Nonload-bearing walls should be added around areas you don’t want to have visible in a living area–water heater, furnace, laundry area, etc.
In addition to that, Preventive Maintenance Support Services has the extensive experience for converting the garage to become used and habitable spaces. Set aside any worries, our company is ready to assist our valued customer to build their dream spaces in their home.
Our Other Services